Mackenzie Multi-Asset Strategies Team
A true multi-asset, total portfolio management approach incorporating some of the best practices from leading institutional pension funds.
Funds under management
- Mackenzie Balanced ETF Portfolio
- Mackenzie Canadian Growth Balanced Class
- Mackenzie Canadian Growth Balanced Fund
- Mackenzie Conservative ETF Portfolio
- Mackenzie Conservative Income ETF Portfolio
- Mackenzie Cundill Canadian Balanced Fund
- Mackenzie Global Growth Balanced Fund
- Mackenzie Global Macro Fund
- Mackenzie Growth ETF Portfolio
- Mackenzie Ivy Canadian Balanced Class
- Mackenzie Ivy Canadian Balanced Fund
- Mackenzie Ivy Global Balanced Class
- Mackenzie Ivy Global Balanced Fund
- Mackenzie Moderate Growth ETF Portfolio
- Mackenzie Monthly Income Balanced Portfolio
- Mackenzie Monthly Income Conservative Portfolio
- Mackenzie Multi-Strategy Absolute Return Fund
- Mackenzie Private Canadian Focused Equity Pool
- Mackenzie Private Canadian Focused Equity Pool Class
- Mackenzie Private Global Conservative Income Balanced Pool
- Mackenzie Private Global Equity Pool
- Mackenzie Private Global Equity Pool Class
- Mackenzie Private Global Income Balanced Pool
- Mackenzie Private Income Balanced Pool
- Mackenzie Private Income Balanced Pool Class
- Mackenzie Private US Equity Pool Class
- Symmetry Balanced Portfolio
- Symmetry Balanced Portfolio Class
- Symmetry Conservative Income Portfolio
- Symmetry Conservative Income Portfolio Class
- Symmetry Conservative Portfolio
- Symmetry Conservative Portfolio Class
- Symmetry Equity Portfolio Class
- Symmetry Fixed Income Portfolio
- Symmetry Growth Portfolio
- Symmetry Growth Portfolio Class
- Symmetry Moderate Growth Portfolio
- Symmetry Moderate Growth Portfolio Class
Philosophy and process
The Mackenzie Multi-Asset Strategies Team believes in the importance of delivering attractive returns without taking undue risk. Their expertise, technology and approach are similar to those found in leading, world-class pension plans. This means that risk management is present at every step of a highly disciplined investment process that fights for every basis point. To help attain repeatable results, the Team utilizes a systematic decision-making process, based on years of accumulated research and driven by sound investment insights and strong economic foundations. This assists with the identification of attractive investment opportunities and better diversification of exposures in terms of factors, assets, geographies and strategies.
Nelson Arruda, CFA
Investment experience since 2009
Nelson Arruda, Vice President, Investment Management, is a Portfolio Manager on the Mackenzie Multi-Asset Strategies Team.
Nelson has experience in investment research and portfolio management of multi-asset strategies, including equities, foreign exchange, sovereign debt and commodities. Prior to joining Mackenzie in 2017, Nelson spent seven years at the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board where he performed various roles, including head portfolio manager of the active commodities portfolio, covering energy, agriculture and metals.
Nelson has Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees in computer science from the University of Toronto and also graduated from the Rotman School of Business with a Master of Finance. He is a CFA charterholder.
Andrea Hallett, CFA
Investment experience since 1998
Andrea Hallett, Vice President, Investment Management, is a Portfolio Manager on the Mackenzie Multi-Asset Strategies Team and is co-manager for Mackenzie Investments' multi-managed funds and strategic asset allocation programs.
Andrea’s career in the investment industry began in 1998. She has been with Mackenzie Investments since 2002. Prior to joining Mackenzie Investments, Andrea held several roles with increasing responsibilities within the investment department at a large Canadian mutual fund company. At that company, her responsibilities included overseeing external portfolio managers, as well as managing a strategic asset allocation program.
Andrea has an honours degree in Commerce from McMaster University. She is also a CFA charterholder.
Paul Taylor, MBA, CFA
Investment experience since 1985
Paul Taylor, Vice President, Investment Management, joined the Mackenzie Multi-Asset Strategies Team in October 2019 and is a Portfolio Manager and a member of Mackenzie’s Global Investment Committee.
Paul has significant investment experience in the areas of multi-asset allocation, Canadian equity management, and manager evaluation, selection and oversight. Prior to joining Mackenzie, he worked for 14 years at a major Canadian bank as Chief Investment Officer, where his responsibilities included making tactical asset allocation decisions across institutional, high net worth and retail lines of businesses and leading large teams of investment professionals, which included equity, bond and asset allocation managers.
Paul earned an MBA at the Smith School of Business at Queen’s University and holds a BA (Economics) from the University of Western Ontario. He is also a CFA charterholder.
Michael Kapler, MMF, CFA
Investment experience since 1998
Michael Kapler is a Portfolio Manager on the Mackenzie Multi-Asset Strategies Team. He manages factor-based equity pools for the Multi-Asset Strategies Team.
Michael joined Mackenzie in 2016. Previously, he spent 10 years involved in quant equity portfolio construction at various hedge funds and financial institutions. His investment experience includes equity factor investing, alternative strategies, asset allocation and risk management.
Michael has a Bachelor of Science (Economics and Computer Science) degree and a Master's of Mathematical Finance from the University of Toronto. He is also a CFA charterholder.
Awards and rankings
Commissions, trailing commissions, management fees and expenses all may be associated with mutual fund investments. Please read the prospectus before investing. Mutual funds are not guaranteed, their values change frequently and past performance may not be repeated.
The use of the term or phrase "pension style investing" ("phrase") should not be misconstrued as a claim of compliance with the Pension Benefits Standards Act of Canada. The phrase used in respect of Mackenzie Investments' Symmetry Portfolios refers to its selective use of pools. Pools are simply separate accounts, or mandates, in which portfolio managers are provided with guidelines that complement other mandates within a larger long-term portfolio. In the case of Symmetry Portfolios, Mackenzie Multi-Asset Strategies Team ask portfolio managers to invest within specific guidelines exclusively for Symmetry Portfolios. Examples of Symmetry Portfolio guidelines may be: no cash held in a portfolio; Canadian equity securities only; utilize a consistent value bias and a threshold on market cap.
FundGrade A+® is used with permission from Fundata Canada Inc., all rights reserved. The annual FundGrade A+® Awards are presented by Fundata Canada Inc. to recognize the "best of the best" among Canadian investment funds. The FundGrade A+® calculation is supplemental to the monthly FundGrade ratings and is calculated at the end of each calendar year. The FundGrade rating system evaluates funds based on their risk-adjusted performance, measured by Sharpe Ratio, Sortino Ratio, and Information Ratio. The score for each ratio is calculated individually, covering all time periods from 2 to 10 years. The scores are then weighted equally in calculating a monthly FundGrade. The top 10% of funds earn an A Grade; the next 20% of funds earn a B Grade; the next 40% of funds earn a C Grade; the next 20% of funds receive a D Grade; and the lowest 10% of funds receive an E Grade. To be eligible, a fund must have received a FundGrade rating every month in the previous year. The FundGrade A+® uses a GPA-style calculation, where each monthly FundGrade from "A" to "E" receives a score from 4 to 0, respectively. A fund's average score for the year determines its GPA. Any fund with a GPA of 3.5 or greater is awarded a FundGrade A+® Award.
- Mackenzie Monthly Income Conservative Portfolio Series A, Global Fixed Income Balanced category: 1 year - (606 funds) -0.9%, 3 years - 5 stars (392 funds) 3.4%, since inception - 3.2% (December 1, 2014)
- Mackenzie Canadian Growth Balanced Fund Series A, Canadian Equity Balanced category: 1 year - (471 funds) -2.1%, 3 years - (378 funds) 4.7%, 5 years - (310 funds) 8.2%, 10 years - (161 funds) 7.1%, since inception - 6.4% (November 28, 1996)
For more information, see http://www.fundgradeawards.com/. Although Fundata makes every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the data contained herein, the accuracy is not guaranteed by Fundata.